Re: Make query cancellation keys longer

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make query cancellation keys longer
Date: 2024-03-03 17:27:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 at 15:27, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl> wrote:
> + case EOF:
> + /* We'll come back when there is more data */
> + return PGRES_POLLING_READING;
>
> Nice catch, I'll go steal this for my patchset which adds all the
> necessary changes to be able to do a protocol bump[1].

Actually, it turns out your change to return PGRES_POLLING_READING on
EOF is incorrect (afaict). A little bit above there is this code
comment above a check to see if the whole body was received:

* Can't process if message body isn't all here yet.
*
* After this check passes, any further EOF during parsing
* implies that the server sent a bad/truncated message.
* Reading more bytes won't help in that case, so don't return
* PGRES_POLLING_READING after this point.

So I'll leave my patchset as is.