Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Soumyadeep Chakraborty <soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ashwin Agrawal <ashwinstar(at)gmail(dot)com>, vanjared(at)vmware(dot)com
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE SET ACCESS METHOD on partitioned tables
Date: 2024-03-01 04:43:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 at 02:57, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> When it comes to partitioned tables, there is a still a tricky case:
> what should we do when a user specifies a non-default value in the SET
> ACCESS METHOD clause and it matches default_table_access_method?
> Should the relam be 0 or should we force relam to be the OID of the
> given value given by the query? Implementation-wise, forcing the
> value to 0 is simpler, but I can get why it could be confusing as
> well, because the state of the catalogs does not reflect what was
> provided in the query. At the same time, the user has explicitly set
> the access method to be the same as the default, so perhaps 0 makes
> sense anyway in this case.

I think we should set the AM OID explicitly. Because an important
thing to consider is: What behaviour makes sense when later
default_table_access_method is changed?
I think if someone sets it explicitly on the partitioned table, they
would want the AM of the partitioned table to stay the same when
default_table_access_method is changed. Which requires storing the AM
OID afaict.