Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-01-26 22:54:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 at 22:46, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> Hmm, but I usually run with -a, I even have a git alias for it. I guess
> what this discussion illustrates is that there are various patters for
> using git, and we shouldn't assume that everyone else is using the same
> patterns we are.

I definitely agree that there are lots of ways to use git. And I now
understand why my hook didn't work well for your existing workflow.

I've pretty much unlearned the -a flag. Because the easiest way I've
been able to split up changes into different commits is using "git add
-p", which adds partial pieces of files to the staging area. And that
workflow combines terribly with "git commit -a" because -a adds all
the things that I specifically didn't put in the staging area into the
final commit anyway.

> I'm still mildly inclined to say this material would be better placed
> in the developer wiki. After all, this isn't the only thing a postgres
> developer might use a git hook for

I think it should definitely be somewhere. I have a preference for the
repo, since I think the docs on codestyle are already in too many
different places. But the wiki is already much better than having no
shared hook at all. I mainly think we should try to make it as easy as
possible for people to commit well indented code.

> (mine has more material in it than in what I posted).

Anything that is useful for the wider community and could be part of
this example/template git hook? (e.g. some perltidy automation)