Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <me(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions
Date: 2024-03-08 15:55:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 at 15:51, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
> What is the relationship of these changes with the recently added
> backtrace_on_internal_error?

I think that's a reasonable question. And the follow up ones too.

I think it all depends on how close we consider
backtrace_on_internal_error and backtrace_functions. While they
obviously have similar functionality, I feel like
backtrace_on_internal_error is probably a function that we'd want to
turn on by default in the future. While backtrace_functions seems like
it's mostly useful for developers. (i.e. the current grouping of
backtrace_on_internal_error under DEVELOPER_OPTIONS seems wrong to me)

> shouldn't backtrace_functions_min_level also affect
> backtrace_on_internal_error?

I guess that depends on the default behaviour that we want. Would we
want warnings with ERRCODE_INTERNAL_ERROR to be backtraced by default
or not. There is at least one example of such a warning in the
codebase:

ereport(WARNING,
errcode(ERRCODE_INTERNAL_ERROR),
errmsg_internal("could not parse XML declaration in stored value"),
errdetail_for_xml_code(res_code));

> Btw., your code/documentation sometimes writes "stack trace". Let's
> stick to backtrace for consistency.

Fixed that in the latest patset in the email I sent right before this one.