Re: Add BF member koel-like indentation checks to SanityCheck CI

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Subject: Re: Add BF member koel-like indentation checks to SanityCheck CI
Date: 2024-01-09 17:59:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From the previous thread on this issue. I think the following proposal
seemed like it had the most buy-in from committers. But so far nobody
implemented it:

On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 at 16:07, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 3:21 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> wrote:
> > On 18.10.23 06:40, David Rowley wrote:
> > > I agree that it's not nice to add yet another way of breaking the
> > > buildfarm and even more so when the committer did make check-world
> > > before committing. We have --enable-tap-tests, we could have
> > > --enable-indent-checks and have pgindent check the code is correctly
> > > indented during make check-world. Then just not have
> > > --enable-indent-checks in CI.
> >
> > This approach seems like a good improvement, even independent of
> > everything else we might do about this. Making it easier to use and
> > less likely to be forgotten. Also, this way, non-committer contributors
> > can opt-in, if they want to earn bonus points.
>
> Yeah. I'm not going to push anything that doesn't pass make
> check-world, so this is appealing in that something that I'm already
> doing would (or could be configured to) catch this problem also.

Source: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BTgmobWXtSciC6hahE0J5w01D6Z3LPv9ctb5Ty_ory4m-NiXQ%40mail.gmail.com#c0534b1ad7ac4ef301cd431e8a222e6c

(CC Tristan since he was making changes to pgindent recently, and so I
had pinged him off-list on this exact topic before)