Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-01-23 14:49:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Indeed the flags you added are enough. Attached is a patch
that adds an updated pre-commit hook with the same behaviour
as the one before. I definitely think having a pre-commit hook
in the repo is beneficial, since writing one that works in all
cases definitely takes some time.

> as it's possible (and
> always has been) to provide pgindent with a list of files to be
> indented.

I guess I didn't realise this was a feature that existed, because
none of the documentation mentioned it.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 at 15:07, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 2023-01-23 Mo 05:44, Jelte Fennema wrote:
> > I whipped up a pre-commit hook which automatically runs pgindent on the
> > changed files in the commit. It won't add any changes automatically, but
> > instead it fails the commit if it made any changes. That way you can add
> > them manually if you want. Or if you don't, you can simply run git commit
> > again without adding the changes. (or you can use the --no-verify flag of
> > git commit to skip the hook completely)
> >
> > It did require adding some extra flags to pgindent. While it only required
> > the --staged-only and --fail-on-changed flags, the --changed-only flag
> > was easy to add and seemed generally useful.
>

> Please see the changes to pgindent I committed about the same time I got
> your email. I don't think we need your new flags, as it's possible (and
> always has been) to provide pgindent with a list of files to be
> indented. Instead of having pgindent run `git diff --name-only ...` the
> git hook can do it and pass the results to pgindent in its command line.
>

> cheers
>

> andrew
>
> --
> Andrew Dunstan
> EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Add-pgindent-to-.editorconfig.patch application/octet-stream 701 bytes
v2-0002-Add-pgindent-pre-commit-hook.patch application/octet-stream 2.3 KB