Re: Speed up clean meson builds by ~25%

From: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Speed up clean meson builds by ~25%
Date: 2024-04-05 16:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 at 17:24, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> I recommend opening a bug report for clang, best with an already preprocessed
> input file.

> We're going to need to do something about this from our side as well, I
> suspect. The times aren't great with gcc either, even if not as bad as with
> clang.

Agreed. While not a full solution, I think this patch is still good to
address some of the pain: Waiting 10 seconds at the end of my build
with only 1 of my 10 cores doing anything.

So while this doesn't decrease CPU time spent it does decrease
wall-clock time significantly in some cases, with afaict no downsides.