Re: Uninstall postgresql completely from Linux

From: Shreeyansh Dba <shreeyansh2014(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vjoshi(at)zetainteractive(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Uninstall postgresql completely from Linux
Date: 2015-04-13 10:53:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Vivekanand Joshi <
vjoshi(at)zetainteractive(dot)com> wrote:

> I installed postgres from postgresql-9.4.1-1-linux-x64.run file.
>
> I want to remove postgres completely from my system. I deleted the data
> directory file.
>

> Now When I am installing it again, I am getting the below output :

> Welcome to the PostgreSQL Setup Wizard.

> Existing installation
>
> An existing PostgreSQL installation has been found at /home/postgres9.4.1.
> This
> installation will be upgraded.
>
> In order to upgrade, we may need to restart the server. All connections to
> the
> server will need to be reestablished after the completion of the
> installation
> process.
> Press [Enter] to continue:

> Please select a directory under which to store your data.
>
> Data Directory []:
>
> This means postgres is not completely removed. How to remove it completely
> because I need a fresh installation.
>

> I uninstalled PostgreSQL by following :
>
> [root(at)ZetaSearch02 postgres9.4.1]# ./uninstall-postgresql
> Do you want to uninstall PostgreSQL and all of its modules? [Y/n]: Y

> Uninstall Status
>
> Uninstalling PostgreSQL
> 0% ______________ 50% ______________ 100%
> ########################################Warning: The data directory
> (/root/postgres/data) and service user account
> (postgres) have not been removed.
> Press [Enter] to continue:
> #
>
> Info: Uninstallation completed
> Press [Enter] to continue:
>

> ----------
>
> Now when I run the file again it is giving me the same output:
>
> ./postgresql-9.4.1-1-linux-x64.run

> Welcome to the PostgreSQL Setup Wizard.

> Existing installation
>
> An existing PostgreSQL installation has been found at /home/postgres9.4.1.
> This
> installation will be upgraded.
>
> In order to upgrade, we may need to restart the server. All connections to
> the
> server will need to be reestablished after the completion of the
> installation
> process.
> Press [Enter] to continue:
> [root(at)ZetaSearch02 postgres]#
> [root(at)ZetaSearch02 postgres]#
> [root(at)ZetaSearch02 postgres]# cd /home/postgres9.4.1
> -bash: cd: /home/postgres9.4.1: No such file or directory
>

> Please let me know what to do?
>

> Warm Regards,
>
> Vivekanand Joshi
> +919654227927
>
> [image: Zeta Interactive]
>
> 185 Madison Ave. New York, NY 10016
>
> www.zetainteractive.com
>
> *Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working
> together is** success -- Henry Ford*

Hi Vivekanand Joshi,

To Uninstall PostgreSQL completely from Linux, You need to remove entries
that are stored in following files

Remove 9.4.1 entries from vi /etc/postgres-reg.ini file.

Remove /var/lib/pgsql

Remove postgresql postgresql-8.4 services in /etc/init.d

After removing these entries try to install PostgreSQL.

And you may also delete data directory manually.

--

*Thanks & Regards,*

*Venkataramana Aitla*

*Database Administrator*