Re: Row Level Security − leakproof-ness and performance implications

From: Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Row Level Security − leakproof-ness and performance implications
Date: 2019-02-28 15:04:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 9:12 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

Hi, Robert, it has been a while :)

> So... you're just going to replace ALL error messages of any kind with
> "ERROR: missing error text" when this option is enabled? That sounds
> unusable. I mean if I'm reading it right this would get not only
> messages from SQL-callable functions but also things like "deadlock
> detected" and "could not read block %u in file %s" and "database is
> not accepting commands to avoid wraparound data loss in database with
> OID %u". You can't even shut it off conveniently, because the way

This makes complete sense to me. The client side of a client/server
protocol doesn't have any way to fix 'could not read block %u in file
%s', the client doesn't need that kind of detailed information about a
server, and in fact that information could be security sensitive.
Imagine connecting to a webserver with a web browser and getting a
similar message.

When something critical happens the servers logs can be viewed and the
error can be addressed there, on the server.