Re: non-trivial finalize() on AbstractJdbc2Statement

From: Imran <imranbohoran(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vitalii Tymchyshyn <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: non-trivial finalize() on AbstractJdbc2Statement
Date: 2012-02-13 14:35:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Vitalli

Yes my clients are definitely closing the PreparedStatements opened. In
fact we are using the hibernate query interface and I've been through the
code to make sure the close is been called in a finally block.
I agree that closing work done by the finalizer() method would actually
close the resource if its not closed. However the issue I'm raising is that
by having the non-trivial finalize() method, it adds every
PreparedStatement object created into the finalizer queue. And hence the a
GC not reclaiming all memory is should. So before the finalizer thread
(which is a low priority thread) gets to it, the application has ran out of
memory.

Cheers
-- Imran