Error creating gin index on jsonb columns

From: Glenn Zhu <gzhu(at)medallia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error creating gin index on jsonb columns
Date: 2015-10-16 13:03:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We are getting an error on the following statement:

CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY customer_jsonb_fields_idx ON customer USING gin
(jsonb_fields jsonb_path_ops);

ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size 2013265920

Anyone know what is causing it? It does not seem to be data corruption as
when we deploy to multiple databases we got exactly the same error.

I did try to set maintenance_work_mam to 4GB and still the same error
occurred.

Thank you.
-glenn
--