Install numpy to use within plpython3u in postgres 9.6 for Windows 2012 (64 bit)

From: PeterS <postgres(at)smythe(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Install numpy to use within plpython3u in postgres 9.6 for Windows 2012 (64 bit)
Date: 2017-11-27 13:06:33
Lists: pgsql-general

I am trying to install numpy to use within plpython3u in postgres 9.6 for
Windows 2012 (64 bit) but I run into dependency problems.

1) I have installed Postgres 9.6 from EnterpriseDB and the language pack,
which installs Python 3.3. <- is there a way to install a newer version of
Python?

I have done CREATE EXTENSION plpython3u; and it works correctly.

I tried to install python modules with: pip3.exe install numpy and
python -m pip install --user numpy but numpy-1.12.1 returns an error:
raise RuntimeError("Python version 2.7 or >= 3.4 required.")

If I try to install an older version of numpy==1.10.4, there are a number
of errors about blas and atlas and fortran compilers not being available -
so I didn't pursue that avenue much further.

2) If I install Python 3.6 separately, when CREATing EXTENSION plpython3u,
I get the ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/9.6/lib/plpython3.dll": The specified module could not be
found.
The DLL *is* in that location, but the utility "depends" shows that it is
compiled for python33 and not python36, and those dependencies are
missing. Could I replace the plpython3.dll file somehow to get it to work
with Python 3.6?

Surely someone has installed numpy for plpython3u in postgres for Windows,
but I could not find any solutions so far, so I'm reaching out to the
experts.

Thanks

Peter