Re: partitioning materialized views

From: Shaun Thomas <shaun(dot)thomas(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performa(dot)" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: partitioning materialized views
Date: 2017-07-07 13:12:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I don't think the downstream dependencies will let that work without
> rebuilding them as well. The drop fails (without a cascade), and the other
> views and matviews that are built off of this all simply point to x_old.

Wow, ouch. Yeah, I'd neglected to consider dependent objects. Your
only "out" at this point is to either add or utilize a "modified_date"
column of some kind, so you can maintain a different MV with some
recent window of data, and regularly merge that into a physical local
copy (not an MV) sort of like a running ETL. Though that won't help
with deletes, unfortunately.

--
Shaun M Thomas - 2ndQuadrant
shaun(dot)thomas(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com | www.2ndQuadrant.com