Re: Re: A separate table level option to control compression

From: Shaun Thomas <shaun(dot)thomas(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: A separate table level option to control compression
Date: 2019-03-27 19:35:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Setting compress_tuple_target to a higher value won't be negative because the
> toast_tuple_target is used for compression anyways when compress_tuple_target
> is higher than toast_tuple_target.

Ack, you're right. Got my wires crossed. I must have gotten confused by my later
tests that enforced main storage and pushed out the toast tuple target
to prevent
out-of-line storage.

> I added a small discussion about negative effects of setting compress_tuple_target
> lower though, per your suggestion.

Fair enough. I like the addition since it provides a very concrete
reason not to abuse
the parameter. :shipit:

Vaya con Queso

--