Re: BUFFERS enabled by default in EXPLAIN (ANALYZE)

From: Michael Christofides <michael(at)pgmustard(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUFFERS enabled by default in EXPLAIN (ANALYZE)
Date: 2021-11-24 18:35:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think it *should* be enabled for planning, since that makes the default
> easier to understand and document, and it makes a user's use of "explain"
> easier.

I’d be keen to see BUFFERS off by default with EXPLAIN, and on by default
with EXPLAIN ANALYZE.

The SUMMARY flag was implemented that way, which I think has been easy
enough for folks to understand and document. In fact, I think the only
BUFFERS information goes in the “summary” section for EXPLAIN (BUFFERS), so
maybe it makes perfect sense? If it would be great if that made
implementation easier, too.

In any case, thank you all, I’m so glad that this is being discussed again.
It’d be so good to start seeing buffers in more plans.

Michael