Re: propose web form for submission of performance problems

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performa(dot)" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: propose web form for submission of performance problems
Date: 2018-05-25 01:27:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 4:57 PM, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:

> What would the list think of a web form for submitting problems the
> performance
> list, similar to the pgsql-bugs form?
>
> Alternately, or perhaps additionally, a script (hopefully bundled with
> postgres) which collects at least the non-query specific info and probably
> creates .logfile file for attachment.
>
> I assume fields would be mostly the content/questions off the SlowQuery
> wiki
> page, plus everything else asked with any frequency.
>
> There could also be "required" fields..

Is there something wrong with this email group? I actually to like it. Low
tech, but it works. If you think such a web site would be good, you might
explain the benefits over a simple email list like this one (which is
archived and easily searchable via Google).

Having watched and participated in this mailing list since around 2006, my
guess is that well over 95% of the "problems" are people who are learning,
and just need advice for tuning their database and/or rewriting their
queries. It is rare that someone reports a genuine performance problem in
Postgres.

I like watching this mailing list; it gives a sense of the ebb and flow of
problem reports, and when one comes along that interests me, I can easily
follow it. And occasionally, I even answer questions. I probably wouldn't
do that with a bug-reporting type of web site.

It would also be bad to have both an email list and a separate web site.
That would simply split the community.

Craig