Re: What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: "Arnold, Sandra" <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG
Date: 2012-07-11 20:07:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Arnold, Sandra <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov> wrote:

> Tablelog would be ok for keeping up with transactions for tables.
> However, we also need to audit who connects successfully and
> unsuccessfully. As far as I am aware, if a user fails to log in
> successfully, say three times, PostgreSQL is not able to lock the account
> for 9.0. Is this the case for 9.1 as well?

This is off topic for your question, but locking an account after a small
number of failures is a bad security practice. It's an invitation for a
denial-of-service attack. Anyone who knows anyone else's account name can
lock them out. Anyone who gets a list of accounts can lock up the whole
system.

Craig