Will using a PreparedStatement only once introduce additional round-trips compared to a simple text-only query?

From: Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Will using a PreparedStatement only once introduce additional round-trips compared to a simple text-only query?
Date: 2012-05-03 10:28:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

When using prepared statements only once, will there be additional
roundtrips required between jdbc-client and postgresql-server in order
to prepare the query? Will there be a lot of additional data
exchanged?

The application I am developing uses Hibernate as middleware which
uses PreparedStatements a lot, however because I ran into a few
problems with PreparedStatement caching I plan to disable caching,
which will lead to quite a few PreparedStatements only used a single
time and recreated each run.

Thank you in advance, Clemens