Re: a proposal for a new functionality: "SELECT * [EXCEPT col1 [,col2]]

From: Josef Šimánek <josef(dot)simanek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Miles Elam <miles(dot)elam(at)productops(dot)com>
Subject: Re: a proposal for a new functionality: "SELECT * [EXCEPT col1 [,col2]]
Date: 2020-02-25 14:41:07
Lists: pgsql-general

út 25. 2. 2020 v 15:35 odesílatel Miles Elam <miles(dot)elam(at)productops(dot)com>
napsal:

> How do you see this syntax working in a JOIN query?
>
> SELECT x.* EXCEPT x.col1, x.col2, y.col1
> FROM tablex AS x
> LEFT JOIN tabley AS y;
>
> The column(s) you want to exclude become ambiguous.

Can you explain how are those column(s) ambiguous in your example? I would
expect to select everything from table x (as SELECT x.* should do) except
x.col1 and x.col2. Nothing is selected from table y thus y.col1 is not
relevant here (the question is if this is problem or not - raise, ignore?).