Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Szymon Lipiński <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Oliver Ford <ojford(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 15:28:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8 December 2017 at 15:34, Oliver Ford <ojford(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Everaldo Canuto
> <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Some of us unfortunately have to work with multiple databases like
> Oracle or
> > MySQL. Their respective clients mysql and sqlplus uses "quit" or "exit"
> > exit sql client.
> >
> > Oracle's sqlplus uses "quit" or "exit" and MySQL client can be exited
> using
> > "quit" and "exit" but for compatibility with psql, it also supports "\q"
> and
> > "\quit".
> >
> > Postgres psql already support "\q" and "\quit" but I think that could be
> > cool if it supports "exit" and "quit", talking to friends I saw that I am
> > the only that sometimes try to exit psql with "exit'.
>
> +1 from me. When I first used Postgres I struggled with how to quit
> psql. I felt that making people look up how to quit the program is bad
> UI design. I admired Postgres as a database, but had the impression
> that it was harder to use than MySQL. Not being able to quit or
> describe a table in the way I was used to was frustrating.
>
> If anyone is unsure on this point, I'd recommend reading Joel
> Spolsky's articles on UI design. He clearly explains how a program
> model should match a user model. The fact that it's always been done
> this way is irrelevant to new users, who want a db that is intuitive.

Well, if I have a new program I usually read some documentation. It really
helps people to exit vim as well :)

Thinking this way for me psql's way is the intuitive one, because I know it.
Should I kindly ask Oracle to change their programs because I rather want
to use their software than reading their documentation?

regards
Szymon Lipiński