Re: Requesting some information about the small portion of source code of postgreSQL

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Srinivas Karthik V <skarthikv(dot)iitb(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, davinder(at)dsl(dot)serc(dot)iisc(dot)ernet(dot)in
Subject: Re: Requesting some information about the small portion of source code of postgreSQL
Date: 2016-09-28 04:28:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Srinivas Karthik V
<skarthikv(dot)iitb(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Dear PostgresSQL Hackers,
> I am working in optimizer module of postgreSQL 9.4.1. I am trying to
> return a subplan for a query instead of full plan.For this I need to return
> an intermediate plan (or path) from the DP lattice (i.e. from RelOptInfo
> *standard_join_search() at allpaths.c) instead of the full optimal plan
> (which is from the last level of root->join_rel_level()).

Why do you want to do that?

> while doing so I am getting error :variable not found in subplan target
> lists at function fix_join_expr_mutator at setrefs.c.
>
> It will be great if you can give me some idea about why this error is
> happening, since this error is happening at fix_join_expr_mutator function
> at setrefs.c. Please give me more information about this portion of code.
> Also I would like to know for what targetlist stands for.

setref.c implements the final stage of planner, where the
variable/expression references in the parent plan nodes are fixed by
pointing them to expressions/parts of expressions/variables from their
children. This error means that some of the things that parent node is
referring to are not available in the children as expected.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat