Re: no test coverage for ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER name HANDLER ...

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: no test coverage for ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER name HANDLER ...
Date: 2017-09-12 11:17:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Thanks Ashutosh for taking a look at this.
>
> On 2017/09/05 21:16, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>> The patch needs a rebase.
>
> Attached rebased patch.

Thanks for rebased patch.

We could annotate each ERROR with an explanation as to why that's an
error, but then this file doesn't do that for other commands, so may
be the patch is just fine.

Also, I am wondering whether we should create the new handler function
in foreign.c similar to postgresql_fdw_validator(). The prologue has a
caution

606 * Caution: this function is deprecated, and is now meant only for testing
607 * purposes, because the list of options it knows about doesn't necessarily
608 * square with those known to whichever libpq instance you might be using.
609 * Inquire of libpq itself, instead.

So, may be we don't want to add it there. But adding the handler
function in create_function_1 doesn't seem good. If that's the correct
place, then at least it should be moved before " -- Things that
shouldn't work:"; it doesn't belong to functions that don't work.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat