Re: Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partition-wise join for join between (declaratively) partitioned tables
Date: 2017-07-26 06:32:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Rafia Sabih
<rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Rafia Sabih
>> <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>> > I didn't run the query not using partition-wise join, for now.
>>
>> parse-parse error, sorry. Do you mean, you haven't run the queries
>> which do not use partition-wise join?
>>
> Yes, that's what I mean.

Ok. If those queries have equi-join between partitioned tables and are
not picking up partition-wise join, that case needs to be
investigated. Q21 for example has join between three lineitem
instances. Those joins can be executed by partition-wise join. But it
may so happen that optimal join order doesn't join partitioned tables
with each other, thus interleaving partitioned tables with
unpartitioned or differently partitioned tables in join order.
Partition-wise join is not possible then. A different partitioning
scheme may be required there.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat