Re: Account for cost and selectivity of HAVING quals

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Account for cost and selectivity of HAVING quals
Date: 2017-11-01 12:36:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 3:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Pursuant to the discussion at
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20171029112420.8920B5FB05@mx.zeyos.com
> here's a patch to fix the planner so that eval costs and selectivity of
> HAVING quals are factored into the appropriate plan node numbers.
> Perhaps unsurprisingly, this doesn't change the results of any
> existing regression tests.
>
> It's slightly annoying that this approach will result in calculating
> the eval costs and selectivity several times, once for each aggregation
> plan type we consider. I thought about inserting RestrictInfo nodes
> into the havingQual so that those numbers could be cached, but that turned
> out to break various code that doesn't expect to see such nodes there.
> I'm not sure it's worth going to the trouble of fixing that; in the big
> scheme of things, the redundant calculations likely don't cost much, since
> we aren't going to have relevant statistics.
>
> Comments? If anyone wants to do a real review of this, I'm happy to stick
> it into the upcoming CF; but without an expression of interest, I'll just
> push it. I don't think there's anything terribly controversial here.

I am not able to see how is the following hunk related to $subject
*************** create_result_path(PlannerInfo *root, Re
*** 1374,1379 ****
--- 1374,1380 ----
pathnode->path.startup_cost = target->cost.startup;
pathnode->path.total_cost = target->cost.startup +
cpu_tuple_cost + target->cost.per_tuple;
+ /* Add cost of qual, if any --- but we ignore its selectivity */
if (resconstantqual)
{
QualCost qual_cost;

And may be we should try to explain why can we ignore selectivity.
Similarly for the changes in create_minmaxagg_path().

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat