Re: Postgres_fdw join pushdown - wrong results with whole-row reference

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres_fdw join pushdown - wrong results with whole-row reference
Date: 2016-06-27 09:56:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
wrote:

> On 2016/06/25 4:14, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> Committed that way.
>>

> Thanks for taking care of this!
>
> I found another bug in error handling of whole-row references in join
> pushdown; conversion_error_callback fails to take into account that
> get_relid_attribute_name(Oid relid, AttrNumber attnum) can't handle
> whole-row references (ie, attnum=0), in which case that would cause cache
> lookup errors. Attached is a small patch to address this issue.

Do you have any testcase reproducing the bug here? It would be good to
include that test in the regression.

There is a always a possibility that a user would create a table (which can
be used as target for the foreign table) with column named 'wholerow', in
which case s/he will get confused with this error message.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat