Re: <> join selectivity estimate question

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: <> join selectivity estimate question
Date: 2017-07-20 12:18:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Thomas Munro
>> <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, here I go like a bull in a china shop: please find attached a
>>> draft patch. Is this getting warmer?
>>>
>>> In the comment for JOIN_SEMI I mentioned a couple of refinements I
>>> thought of but my intuition was that we don't go for such sensitive
>>> and discontinuous treatment of stats; so I made the simplifying
>>> assumption that RHS always has more than 1 distinct value in it.
>>>
>>> Anti-join <> returns all the nulls from the LHS, and then it only
>>> returns other LHS rows if there is exactly one distinct non-null value
>>> in RHS and it happens to be that one. But if we make the same
>>> assumption I described above, namely that there are always at least 2
>>> distinct values on the RHS, then the join selectivity is just
>>> nullfrac.
>>>

>> The patch looks good to me.
>>
>> + /*
>> + * For semi-joins, if there is more than one distinct key in the RHS
>> + * relation then every non-null LHS row must find a match since it can
>> + * only be equal to one of them.
>> The word "match" confusing. Google's dictionary entry gives "be equal
>> to (something) in quality or strength." as its meaning. May be we want
>> to reword it as "... LHS row must find a joining row in RHS ..."?
>
> Thanks! Yeah, here's a version with better comments.

Thanks. Your version is better than mine.

> Does anyone know how to test a situation where the join is reversed according to
> get_join_variables, or "complicated cases where we can't tell for sure"?

explain select * from pg_class c right join pg_type t on (c.reltype =
t.oid); would end up with *join_is_reversed = true; Is that what you
want? For a semi-join however I don't know how to induce that. AFAIU,
in a semi-join there is only one direction in which join can be
specified.

I didn't get the part about "complicated cases where we can't tell for sure".
--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat