Re: no test coverage for ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER name HANDLER ...

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: no test coverage for ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER name HANDLER ...
Date: 2017-05-08 12:39:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 6:08 AM, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hackers,
>
> just FYI, I cannot find any regression test coverage of this part of the grammar, not
> even in the contrib/ directory or TAP tests. I was going to submit a patch to help out,
> and discovered it is not so easy to do, and perhaps that is why the coverage is missing.
>
> My apologies for the noise if this is already common knowledge. Also, if I'm wrong,
> I'd appreciate a pointer to the test that I am failing to find.

It depends on what do you want to test. You could write a simple test
in postgres_fdw or file_fdw where you specify the same handler as
CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER command (basically a no-op) to check
whether the command succeeds. If you want to do any more serious
testing, it will require defining at some of the FDW hooks that will
be returned by the handler, and then exercising those hooks.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat