Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)
Date: 2015-12-11 06:34:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:41 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> > It's been a long time since last patch on this thread was posted. I have
> > started
> > to work on supporting join pushdown for postgres_fdw. Attached please
> find
> > three
> > patches
> > 1. pg_fdw_core.patch: changes in core related to user mapping handling,
> GUC
> > enable_foreignjoin
> > 2. pg_fdw_join.patch: postgres_fdw changes for supporting join pushdown
>
> It seems useful to break things up this way. However, I'm not sure we
> want an enable_foreignjoin GUC; in fact, I think we probably don't.
> If we want to have a way to control this, postgres_fdw can provide a
> custom GUC or FDW option for that.

enable_foreignjoin or its FDW counterpart would be useful for debugging
purposes just like enable_hashjoin/enable_mergejoin etc. Foreign join push
down can be viewed as a join strategy just like merge/nest loop/hash join
etc. Having enable_foreignjoin complements that picture. Users find more
usage of the same. A user running multiple FDWs and needing to disable join
pushdown across FDWs for any purpose would find enable_foreignjoin very
useful. Needing to turn on/off multiple GUCs would be cumbersome.

> And to be honest, I haven't really been able to understand why join
> pushdown needs changes to user mapping handling.

Current join pushdown infrastructure in core allows join to be pushed down
if both the sides of join come from the same server. Those sides may have
different user mappings and thus different user properties/access
permissions/visibility on the foreign server. If FDW chooses either of
these different user mappings to push down the join, it will get wrong
results. So, a join between two foreign relations can not be pushed down if
the user mappings on both sides do not match. This has been already
discussed in this thread. I am pasting your response to Hanada-san back in
May 2015 as hint to the discussion

--
To add to that, checking user mapping is better than checking the effective
user id for multiple reasons. Multiple local users can share same public

> Just hypothetically
> speaking, if I put my foot down and said we're not committing any of
> that stuff, how and why would that impact our ability to have join

pushdown in 9.6?

In fact, the question would be what user mapping should be used by the
connection on which we are firing join query. Unless we answer that
question we won't have join pushdown in 9.6. If we push down joins without
taking into consideration the user mapping, we will have all sorts of
security/data visibility problems because of wrong user properties used for
connection.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat