Re: advanced partition matching algorithm for partition-wise join

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: advanced partition matching algorithm for partition-wise join
Date: 2017-10-13 02:29:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> Here's updated patch set based on the basic partition-wise join
>> committed. The patchset applies on top of the patch to optimize the
>> case of dummy partitioned tables [1].
>>
>> Right now, the advanced partition matching algorithm bails out when
>> either of the joining relations has a default partition.
>
> So is that something you are going to fix?

Yes, if time permits. I had left the patch unattended while basic
partition-wise join was getting committed. Now that it's committed, I
rebased it. It still has TODOs and some work is required to improve
it. But for the patch to be really complete, we have to deal with the
problem of missing partitions described before. I am fine
collaborating if someone else wants to pick it up.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat