Re: [HACKERS] why not parallel seq scan for slow functions

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] why not parallel seq scan for slow functions
Date: 2018-02-19 04:26:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 8:17 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
>> <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> /* Convenience macro to get a PathTarget with valid cost/width fields */
>>> #define create_pathtarget(root, tlist) \
>>> set_pathtarget_cost_width(root, make_pathtarget_from_tlist(tlist))
>>> create_pathtarget already works that way. We will need to split it.
>>>
>>> Create the Pathtarget without widths. Apply width estimates once we
>>> know the width of Vars somewhere here in query_planner()
>>> /*
>>> * We should now have size estimates for every actual table involved in
>>> * the query, and we also know which if any have been deleted from the
>>> * query by join removal; so we can compute total_table_pages.
>>> *
>>> * Note that appendrels are not double-counted here, even though we don't
>>> * bother to distinguish RelOptInfos for appendrel parents, because the
>>> * parents will still have size zero.
>>> *
>>> The next step is building the join tree. Set the pathtarget before that.

>>> I agree.

>>> I didn't understand that.
>>>

>> The places where we use a target different than the target which is
>> pushed via query planner can cause a similar problem (ex. see the
>> usage of adjust_paths_for_srfs) because the cost of that target
>> wouldn't be taken into consideration for Gather's costing.
>>

> Right. Right now apply_projection_to_path() or adjust_paths_for_srfs()
> do not take into consideration the type of path whose cost is being
> adjusted for the new targetlist. That works for most of the paths but
> not all the paths like custom, FDW or parallel paths. The idea I am
> proposing is to compute final targetlist before query planner so that
> it's available when we create paths for the topmost scan/join
> relation. That way, any path creation logic can then take advantage of
> this list to compute costs, not just parallel paths.

In fact, we should do this not just for scan/join relations, but all
the upper relations as well. Upper relations too create parallel
paths, whose costs need to be adjusted after their targetlists are
updated by adjust_paths_for_srfs(). Similar adjustments are needed for
any FDWs, custom paths which cost targetlists differently.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat