Re: Declarative partitioning

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Ildar Musin <i(dot)musin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning
Date: 2016-08-05 10:53:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The lists for list partitioned tables are stored as they are specified by
the user. While searching for a partition to route tuple to, we compare it
with every list value of every partition. We might do something better
similar to what's been done to range partitions. The list of values for a
given partition can be stored in ascending/descending sorted order. Thus a
binary search can be used to check whether given row's partition key column
has same value as one in the list. The partitions can then be stored in the
ascending/descending order of the least/greatest values of corresponding
partitions. We might be able to eliminate search in a given partition if
its lowest value is higher than the given value or its higher value is
lower than the given value.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat