Re: dropping partitioned tables without CASCADE

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dropping partitioned tables without CASCADE
Date: 2017-03-08 09:27:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> About the other statement you changed, I just realized that we should
> perhaps do one more thing. Show the Number of partitions, even if it's 0.
> In case of inheritance, the parent table stands on its own when there are
> no child tables, but a partitioned table doesn't in the same sense. I
> tried to implement that in attached patch 0002. Example below:
>
> create table p (a int) partition by list (a);
> \d p
> <snip>
> Partition key: LIST (a)
> Number of partitions: 0
>
> \d+ p
> <snip>
> Partition key: LIST (a)
> Number of partitions: 0
>
> create table p1 partition of p for values in (1);
> \d p
> <snip>
> Partition key: LIST (a)
> Number of partitions: 1 (Use \d+ to list them.)
>
> \d+ p
> <snip>
> Partition key: LIST (a)
> Partitions: p1 FOR VALUES IN (1)

I liked that. PFA 0002 updated. I changed one of \d output to \d+ to
better test partitioned tables without partitions in verbose and
non-verbose mode. Also, refactored the your code to have less number
of conditions. Please let me know if it looks good.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Improve-d-output-of-a-partitioned-table.patch application/octet-stream 4.7 KB
0002-Number-of-partitions-for-a-partitioned-table.patch application/octet-stream 3.5 KB