Re: [RFC] Should we fix postmaster to avoid slow shutdown?

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Should we fix postmaster to avoid slow shutdown?
Date: 2016-11-14 09:38:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:16 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
>> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Ashutosh Bapat
>> I have changed some comments around this block. See attached patch.
>> Let me know if that looks good.
>
> Thanks, it looks good.

Thanks. The patch 02_close_listen... closes the listen sockets
explicitly when it's known that postmaster is going to stop all the
children and then die. I have tried to see, if there's a possibility
that it closes the listen sockets but do not actually die, thus
causing a server which doesn't accept any connections and doesn't die.
But I have not found that possibility.

I do not have any further comments about both the patches. None else
has volunteered to review the patch till now. So, marking the entry as
ready for committer.