Re: How to make partitioning scale better for larger numbers of partitions

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Kato, Sho" <kato-sho(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How to make partitioning scale better for larger numbers of partitions
Date: 2018-07-17 03:14:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Kato, Sho <kato-sho(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2018/07/17 10:49, Amit Langote wrote:
>>Perhaps, Kato-san only intended to report that the time that planner spends for a partitioned table with 1100 partitions is just too high compared to the time it spends on a non-partitioned table.
>
> yes, It is included for the purposes of this comparison.
>
> The purpose of this comparison is to find where the partitioning bottleneck is.
> Using the bottleneck as a hint of improvement, I'd like to bring the performance of partitioned table closer to the performance of unpartitioned table as much as possible.

That's a good thing, but may not turn out to be realistic. We should
compare performance where partitioning matters and try to improve in
those contexts. Else we might improve performance in scenarios which
are never used.

In this case, even if we improve the planning time by 100%, it hardly
matters since planning time is neglegible compared to the execution
time because of huge data where partitioning is useful.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat