proposal: enhancing slow query log, and autoexplain log about waiting on lock before query exec time

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: proposal: enhancing slow query log, and autoexplain log about waiting on lock before query exec time
Date: 2016-02-14 08:35:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

the interpretation of slow queries or entries from auto-explain log can be
difficult some times, because the the main time of query evaluation is
waiting on lock, and this number isn't in related entry. Our situation is
little bit difficult, because we have not direct access to PostgreSQL logs,
we working with log aggregators.

We have a patch, that inject logs about the time waiting on locks before
query execution. This feature helps us lot of, and I hope, it can be
generally useful.

Is this feature interesting for community? What do you think about it?

Regards

Pavel