Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date: 2022-01-13 18:32:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

čt 13. 1. 2022 v 19:23 odesílatel Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 17:42, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I like the idea of prioritizing tables over variables with warnings when
> collision is detected. It cannot break anything. And it allows to using
> short identifiers when there is not collision.
>
> Yeah, that seems OK, as long as it's clearly documented. I don't think
> a warning is necessary.

The warning can be disabled by default, but I think it should be there.
This is a signal, so some in the database schema should be renamed. Maybe -
session_variables_ambiguity_warning.

> (FWIW, testing with dbfiddle, that appears to match Db2's behaviour).

Thank you for check

Regards

Pavel