Re: proposal: plpgsql pragma statement

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: plpgsql pragma statement
Date: 2018-12-05 14:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

st 5. 12. 2018 v 15:03 odesílatel Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
napsal:

> But maybe your extension could read the PERFORM statement preceding it and
> treat it as an annotation hint for the following statement.
>

> In this case, comment line in some format will be better than real PERFORM
> statement. Like this:
>
> /*+PRAGMA cmdtype CREATE; */
> EXECUTE format('CREATE TABLE xxx ...

I though about it, but it is significantly harder for implementation. Now,
the content of comments are just ignored. If we push PRAGMA into comments,
then we should to do some work with comments.

PRAGMA as statement is much more easy for implementation. But Using PRAGMA
inside comments is very good alternative.

Regards

Pavel