Re: bugfix: --echo-hidden is not supported by \sf statements

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bugfix: --echo-hidden is not supported by \sf statements
Date: 2013-02-24 05:55:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2013/2/24 Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>:
> Pavel,
>
> * Pavel Stehule (pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>> I am looking on this code now, and it is not easy as I though - there
>> are two possible errors: not found or found more - so returning
>> InvalidOid is not enough - and then some "new lookup" function is not
>> simple or is ugly - and I am not sure, so cost is less than benefit.
>> in this case.
>
> The problem here is that this code is trying to cheat and use a cast
> call to regproc or regprocedure to look for the function. This has
> already been solved in \df, why not refactor that code to be used for
> this case as well?

it is not possible - both fragments has different purpose. Code in \ef
or \sf should to select exactly one function based on complete
function signature, \df try to show list of functions filtered by
name.

Minimally \ef needs exact specification - you cannot to edit more
functions in same time. So we have to be able identify if there are no
selected function or if there are more functions. We can write a
auxiliary function that returns list of function oids for specified
signature - but it is relative much more code and it is hard to
implement for older versions - but we can use regproc and regprocedure
there. It is not hard problem - just a some about 100 lines - but it
is going out of original proposal, so I am asking if we want this and
more code will be accepted.

Pavel