Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, George Neuner <gneuner2(at)comcast(dot)net>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org >> PG-General Mailing List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User documentation vs Official Docs
Date: 2018-08-11 06:14:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 05:31:40PM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > JD sit down, I am going to agree with you:) The documentation as it
> stands
> > is very good, though it requires some fore knowledge to successfully
> > navigate. On pages with a lot of content it often is not evident, to
> many,
> > that there are actually examples at the bottom of the page. Also that the
> > exceptions to the rules are called out there also. The general concept of
> > presenting a task, writing a procedure to accomplish the task and
> pointing
> > to the documentation that covers the procedure would be a helpful
> addition.
> > It would be nice to point to something like that in a post rather then
> > continually rebuilding the explanation every time a new user hits the
> list.
> > Looking at the link posted upstream:
>
> I am jumping in late here, but I do have some thoughts on this topic.
> To me, there are three levels of information presentation:
>
> 1. Task-oriented documents
> 2. Exhaustive technical documentation/manuals
> 3. Concept-level material
>
> I think we call agree that the Postgres documentation does very well
> with #2, and we regularly get complements for its quality.
>
> For #1, this is usually related to performing a task without requiring a
> full study of the topic. For example, if I need iptables rules to block
> a sunrpc attack, or use NFS over ssh, I really want some commands that I
> can study and adjust to the task --- I don't want to study all the
> features of these utilities to get the job done. This is an area the
> docs don't cover well, but our blogs and wikis do.
>
> For #3, this is mostly covered by books. This topic requires a lot of
> explanation and high-level thinking. We have some of that in our docs,
> but in general books probably do this better.

I wrote lot of documentation related to plpgsql and some other, but
unfortunately it is in Czech language. It is free, so it can be freely
transalated

Here are links - on the page is a possibility to set google translator

https://postgres.cz/wiki/Jak_nepou%C5%BE%C3%ADvat_PL/pgSQL,_p%C5%99%C3%ADpadn%C4%9B_PL/SQL,_a_dal%C5%A1%C3%AD_fat%C3%A1ln%C3%AD_chyby
https://postgres.cz/wiki/PL/pgSQL

Regards

Pavel