Re: csv format for psql

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: csv format for psql
Date: 2018-06-03 17:43:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sunday, June 3, 2018, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>> \pset fieldsep ;
>> \pset format csv
>>
>> I don't like when one command overwrite settings of some other command.
>> We can introduce some similar like GUC where default values from configure
>> file can be overwritten by custom setting for session. So I am able to
>> thinking about some settings
>>
>> like
>>
>> \pset csv_default_separator
>> \pset csv_default_header
>>
>> Then there is question to simplify all and use \pset csv_separator, and
>> csv format independent of fieldseparator value? It is possible, but I don't
>> think so have more option for similar value is good idea (for interactive
>> mode).
>>

> Having a dedicated option seems infinitely better than adding new settings
> for defaults and having to keep track of whether the shared field separator
> is a default versus a user specified value.
>
> Recently we reworked server GUCs to avoid this kind of unset/default
> behavior. I don't see how introducing or relying upon it in psql would be
> an advantage.

I am thinking so psql design is little bit special, because we should to
think about more modes - interactive and not interactive, and our goal
should be some consistency from user perspective in interactive mode. But
for me, the special CSV options are acceptable - although little bit
unfriendly from user perspective.

> At this point -1, keep the status quo, for any implementation that tries
> to make the unaligned mode field separator perform double duty. I'm open,
> but unlikely, to be convinced that it can be done without unforeseen bad
> side effects and degraded usability.

With respect to your opinion, I don't agree so current status is good -
mainly in this case.

Regards

Pavel