Re: [patch] bit XOR aggregate functions

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "bashtanov(at)imap(dot)cc" <bashtanov(at)imap(dot)cc>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] bit XOR aggregate functions
Date: 2021-03-07 10:24:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> And so you are now mandating an ORDER BY on every query and in every
> aggregate and/or window function. Users will not like that at all. I
> certainly shan't.

The mandatory ORDER BY clause should be necessary for operations when the
result depends on the order. You need an order for calculation of median.
And you don't need to know an order for average. More if the result is one
number and is not possible to do a visual check of correctness (like
median).