Re: effect of JIT tuple deform?

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: effect of JIT tuple deform?
Date: 2018-06-26 19:25:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I played with it and maybe I got interesting result.

When I played with really big table, then I got IO waits and effect of
jit_tuple_deforming is near to zero (as expected)

When I played with smaller table under RAM, then I can see positive effect
of JIT_TD, but only when optimization is active. When optimization was
false, then JIT_TD has negative slowdown.

Shared buffers 1GB
table wt .. 100columns, 2M rows, cca 823MB
set max_parallel_workers to 0;

query:

select sum(c99) from wt;

default (jit active) ... 1853ms
set jit_tuple_deforming to off .. 1397ms
set jit off .. 1400ms

== enforced inline ==
jit_tuple_deforming on .. 1610ms
jit_tuple_deforming off .. 1420ms

== enforced optimize ==
jit_tuple_deforming on .. 842ms
jit_tuple_deforming off .. 1420ms

I played with setting and I got the best speed with

jit_inline_above_cost ..some pretty high number
jit_optimize_above_cost 0
jit_tuple_deforming on

So I am able to see effect of jit_tuple_deforming, and very well, but only
if optimization is active. When optimization is not active then
jit_tuple_deforming does slowdown.

So maybe a usage of jit_tuple_deforming can be conditioned by
jit_optimization?

Regards

Pavel