Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Prabakaran, Vaishnavi" <vaishnavip(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date: 2015-02-07 09:26:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I am sending a review of this patch.

1. We would this patch?

yes. It is a good idea - checking internal view is more comfortable and
faster than checking some (possibly longer) pg_hba.conf. There was no
objections.

2. Scope - does this patch, what we need?

yes. There was a discussion about altering pg_hba.conf from SQL, but we
don't need it now.

3. Patching, compilation

no warnings, no errors

4. Regress tests

test rules ... FAILED -- missing info about new view

My objections:

1. data type for "database" field should be array of name or array of text.

When name contains a comma, then this comma is not escaped

currently: {omega,my stupid extremly, name2,my stupid name}

expected: {"my stupid name",omega,"my stupid extremly, name2"}

Same issue I see in "options" field

2. Reload is not enough for content refresh - logout is necessary

I understand, why it is, but it is not very friendly, and can be very
stressful. It should to work with last reloaded data.

I have not too strong opinion on @1, but @2 should be fixed.

Regards

Pavel