Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables
Date: 2018-04-20 17:45:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:28 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > It true, so there are lot of "unused" attributes for this purpose, but
> there
> > is lot of shared attributes, and lot of shared code. Semantically, I see
> > variables in family of sequences, tables, indexes, views. Now, it shares
> > code, and I hope in next steps more code can be shared - constraints,
> > triggers.
>
> I dunno, it seems awfully different to me. There's only one "column",
> right? What code is really shared here? Are constraints and triggers
> even desirable feature for variables? What would be the use case?

The schema variable can hold composite value. The patch allows to use any
composite type or adhoc composite values

DECLARE x AS compositetype;
DECLARE x AS (a int, b int, c int);

Constraints are clear, no.

Triggers are strange maybe, but why not - it can be used like enhanced
constraints, can be used for some value calculations, ..

> I think stuffing this into pg_class is pretty strange.

It will be if variable is just scalar value without any possibilities. But
then there is only low benefit

The access rights implementation is shared with other from pg_class too.

Regards

Pavel