Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: proposal - psql: possibility to specify sort for describe commands, when size is printed
Date: 2017-09-21 17:54:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:

> On 9/21/17 04:27, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > yes. It was designed for + commands only. Can be enhanced to all
> > commands - then VERBOSE prefix should be removed - not sure if it is
> > necessary. For me interesting different order than default is only in
> > verbose mode.
>
> I see where you are coming from, but there is no association in the
> existing UI that equates "+" to the word "verbose". I think just
> removing the verbose prefix and applying the sorting behavior in all
> cases should be easier to explain and implement.

I though about it - but I am not sure if one kind of these variables is
practical.

if I don't need a size, then sort by schema, name is ok (I didn't need any
else ever). With only one kind of these variables, this setting is common -
what is not practical.

I need sort by size in verbose mode (where size is visible) in 100% - so it
will be saved to psqlrc. And when size will be invisible, then sort by size
is not practical, and can be messy (because size is not visible).

So I don't think so removing VERBOSE prefix is a good idea - or we should
to do different design (have not a idea how)

Regards

Pavel