Re: Trigger position

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trigger position
Date: 2021-09-15 15:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

st 15. 9. 2021 v 17:14 odesílatel Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> napsal:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, at 10:51 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> In a computer system, alphabet letters are just a different way to
> present numbers, so you just choose ASCII letters that match what you
> want. You can use "AA_first_trigger", "BB_second_trigger",
> "AB_nope_this_is_second" and you'll be fine; you can do
> "AAB_oops_really_second" afterwards, and so on. The integer numbering
> system doesn't seem very useful/flexible when seen in this light.
>
> ... or renumber all trigger positions in a single transaction. I agree that
> letters are more flexible than numbers but some users are number-oriented.
>
> I'm afraid an extra mechanism to determine the order to fire triggers will
> confuse programmers if someone decides to use both. Besides that, we have
> expend a few cycles to determine the exact trigger execution order.

Triggers that depend on execution order are pretty hell. It is a clean
signal of some crazy design and overusing of triggers.

Personally I prefer to don't have any similar feature just as a strong
signal for developers - Don't do this. Unfortunately (but good for
business) . A lot of migrated applications from Oracle use this terrible
style. I like PL/SQL, but the most ugly code that I saw was in PL/SQL. So
this feature can be necessary for migrations from Oracle, but I don't see
reasons to be more visible.

Regards

Pavel