Re: (Again) Column Store on PostGreSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon AUBERT <aubert(dot)simon(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (Again) Column Store on PostGreSQL
Date: 2019-01-04 17:35:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

pá 4. 1. 2019 v 17:12 odesílatel Simon AUBERT <aubert(dot)simon(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> Hello,
>
> We can find this very informative blog post :
> https://blog.2ndquadrant.com/column-store-plans/
>
> And this wiki page :
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ColumnOrientedSTorage
> I must say the approach with the "orientation" option is a genius idea.
>
> I won't discuss much the advantages of COS, I had three years using
> Vertica -I loved it-, some tests of Monetdb, and recently Column Store
> Index on MSQL Server etc. And I'm pretty sure everybody is convinced this
> works great for Instant Analytics with products such as Tableau or
> Spotfire.. and much better than, saying, Hive. MonetDb is not so much
> enterprise ready (not even paid support available), CH is young while PGSQL
> has proven its high value in Transactionnal DB, the only thing missing for
> even a bigger deployment is this feature.
>
> From what I understand, there is a team at 2ndquadrant.com that works on
> it (but I'm not sure it's still in the dev pipe).
>
> My questions :
> -do you develop from scratch or do you plan to use some code of
> MonetDb/Clickhouse/C_Store_fdw for that? I don't know if even a
> collaboration between teams is feasible (I may be very naive but that would
> kick ass ^^)

With high probability the code should be written from scratch - every
database has lot of unique features, code base, memory management,
optimizer, .. It is hard, almost impossible to reuse some code from other
database.

Regards

Pavel

.