Re: Remove source code display from \df+?

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove source code display from \df+?
Date: 2023-01-18 04:59:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

út 17. 1. 2023 v 20:29 odesílatel Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
napsal:

> On Thu, 12 Jan 2023 at 12:06, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks everybody. So based on the latest discussion I will:
>>
>> 1) rename the column from “Source code” to “Internal name”; and
>> 2) change the contents to NULL except when the language (identified by
>> oid) is INTERNAL or C.
>>
>> Patch forthcoming, I hope.
>>

> I've attached a patch for this. It turns out to simplify the existing code
> in one way because the recently added call to pg_get_function_sqlbody() is
> no longer needed since it applies only to SQL functions, which will now
> display as a blank column.
>
> I implemented the change and was surprised to see that no tests failed.
> Turns out that while there are several tests for \df, there were none for
> \df+. I added a couple, just using \df+ on some functions that appear to me
> to be present on plain vanilla Postgres.
>
> I was initially concerned about translation support for the column
> heading, but it turns out that \dT+ already has a column with the exact
> same name so it appears we don’t need any new translations.
>
> I welcome comments and feedback. Now to try to find something manageable
> to review.

looks well

you miss update psql documentation

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-psql.html

If the form \df+ is used, additional information about each function is
shown, including volatility, parallel safety, owner, security
classification, access privileges, language, source code and description.

you should to assign your patch to commitfest app

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/

Regards

Pavel