Re: explain plans with information about (modified) gucs

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, legrand legrand <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: explain plans with information about (modified) gucs
Date: 2019-01-01 17:48:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

út 1. 1. 2019 v 18:39 odesílatel Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
napsal:

> Attached is v4, changing how GUCs are picked for inclusion on the query
> plans. Instead of picking the GUCs based on group and/or explicitly, a
> new GUC_EXPLAIN flag is used for that.
>
> I went through GUCs defined in guc.c and marked those in QUERY_TUNING*
> groups accordingly, with the exception of default_statistics_target
> because that seems somewhat useless without showing the value used to
> actually analyze the table (and/or columns).
>
> I've also included a couple of other GUCs, that I find to be relevant:
>
> - parallel_leader_participation
> - max_parallel_workers_per_gather
> - max_parallel_workers
> - search_path
> - effective_io_concurrency
> - work_mem
> - temp_buffers
> - plan_cache_mode

when plan_cache_mode is auto, you know maybe too less executed query. Maybe
you can read somewhere if plan was custom or generic.

> I think this covers the interesting GUCs pretty well, although perhaps I
> missed something.

seq_page_cost, random_page_cost, from_collapse_limit, join_collapse_limit,
... enable_***