Re: Implicit make rules break test examples

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Implicit make rules break test examples
Date: 2019-01-01 17:54:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu> writes:
> In src/test/example, the implicit make rules produce errors:

Hm. "make" in src/test/examples works fine for me.

The only way I can account for the results you're showing is if your
linker is preferring libpq.a to libpq.so, so that reading the library
before the *.o files causes none of it to get pulled in. But that
isn't the default behavior on any modern platform AFAIK, and certainly
isn't considered good practice these days. Moreover, if that's what's
happening, I don't see how you would have managed to build PG at all,
because there are a lot of other places where our Makefiles write
$(LDFLAGS) before the *.o files they're trying to link. Maybe we
shouldn't have done it like that, but it's been working for everybody
else.

What platform are you on exactly, and what toolchain (gcc and ld
versions) are you using?